Saturday, May 26, 2012

Plans are Made to Change....Right?

Well, as usually happens around these here parts, things change...often. One thing is that I found myself wanting to intersperse recipes from the first cookbook along with the second, so I may just pick and choose from the two and continue on. Can you handle the madness? I thought so. Carrying on...

So far, no drip beef, but it's still on the schedule...for soon. How's that for vague?

We did, however, try the Dr. Pepper Spicy Pulled Pork - minus the spice.

As much as I'd like to say my born and bred Texans all eat super hot jalapenos by the dozen with nary a tear, that isn't the way of things. Maybe they have too much of their Tennessee raised mother in them, I don't know.

All that to say, I did leave the peppers out. I do plan to try the recipe again soon for a Sunday afternoon church lunch, and make it just like the recipe says, but until then, we'll review it minus the spice.

Ok - remember that adage about rules being made to be broken? I think recipes are made to be tweaked. I was going to be in and out the day I planned on this recipe, so I used the crockpot. I know...I'm deviating more and more from the original recipe and methodology, but a Mom has to do what a Mom has to do. I will say this, USUALLY I am a strict "do it exactly as the recipe says the first time I try something" type of person, so in future perhaps you can trust me to stick to the recipe more closely...at least that first time out!

So, in the crockpot it went, low and slow all day whilst I tended to the needs of the crew. All ingredients were kept the same w/the exception of leaving out the peppers.

Dinner time! The meat was super tender, easy to pull apart w/two forks. Served up on whole wheat buns to the crew. I definitely think the addition of the peppers would make the meat more flavorful, but even w/o them the pork was good and I enjoyed it very much. Children's reviews, as usual, were mixed. 1 child devoured an entire sandwich...the rest...picked in varying degrees.

So, out of our family of 7, 3 gave it a big thumbs up. 4 luke warm. Par for the course. If I ever find a week's worth of things the whole crew will heartily eat, we may just have those over and over and, well, over.

'til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment